Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Consequences of trespassing

So the other day I was in my kitchen preparing a hearty hummus and cheese sandwich. Being relatively poor, I have found myself eating a great deal of hummus sandwiches, made from the free bag o' buns with which my dear friend Connie provides me on a weekly basis from J-Dogs.

Whilst creating said sandwich, I see this guy ride his bike into my back yard. Now, the parking lot behind my house and our back yard are obviously our property. Meaning, there is no way to confuse it as any sort of public venue. Everything is fenced off. This would be akin to riding your bike into some random person's back yard in some random residential neighborhood.

So he pedals to the back by our shed, and starts looking around. I thought, "Hmm. Wtf." First, he looked behind the shed. Then, he walked over to one of our trees that is growing next to the fence, sort of tried to hide his bike, and then locked it to the fence. Then he just strolled out of our back yard like he owned the place.

Now, I am pretty sure he was doing nothing malicious. Obviously. However, it bothered me that he would just cruise into our back yard uninvited, and lock his bike there. Am I unreasonable for thinking that is strange? I thought about going out there and leaving a sign taped to his bike, offering him airless tires if he ever did it again.

But then I remembered that he rode through 10 feet of puncture weeds and stickers to park his bike where he did, and that those had certainly already accomplished the task.