Monday, October 13, 2008

The metal pit

I'm pretty astounded by the death metal occurring right this moment next door. I mean, apparently during the last 4 days or so, a band has formed. And by band I mean a drum set and a guitar. Playing awful, awful metal. Rather than annoying, it is actually quite entertaining. Because I get to sit here, in the comfort of my bed in a house well on its way to freezing, and attempt to puzzle out how on earth a person could think that creating the musical atrocities to which I'm being subjected would ever be enjoyed by another human being. So really I appreciate it.

I suppose the metal is preparing me mentally for the adventure upon which I shall shortly embark this evening; throwing burning shit down a hole. So metal.

So there exists this seemingly bottomless pit out near Eureka. Which I suppose, is somewhat metaphorical to Eureka itself; a horrible, bottomless pit of a place to live. And creepy. A very creepy town. Sort of a ghost town that still has people living in it. Which is a complete oxymoron, I know.

Anyhow, this pit is covered by a huge grate. In the middle, there is about a 2X2 ft opening, through which the burning objects are dropped. And then they fall into the belly of eternity, exploding and bouncing off the walls, flaming until they disappear into the abyss. Pretty much the most awesome thing ever.

If ever I murder a human, that is definitely where I shall dispose of the body. There have got to be bodies down there. Nobody would ever find them. Because it's a bottomless pit. Doi.

No comments: