Friday, January 9, 2009

Convictions

Tonight I had an interesting conversation about the Mormon church with a couple of guys who were visiting Utah on business. They were not Mormons. They were asking me a bunch of questions about serving missions, about whether or not young Men ever fooled around with girls, and whether or not they would get kicked out of the church for it. They were rather shocked that we believed in a prophet, and asked if I could actually become the prophet. "I suppose I could." Some interesting questions, ones which I really had never been previously asked.

It has been about a year and a half since I discussed the church with a non-member. It actually felt really good. It sort of reminded me, as I was sharing some things with them, that I really do know it is true. Sometimes that knowledge, faith, and conviction sort of wiggles its way to the back of my conscious. I guess discussing gospel topics with other Mormons becomes redundant at times, and makes it easy to attenuate one's convictions.

I have convictions; it was good to feel that.

3 comments:

Jessa said...

I'm not sure why, but this post (though I'm late reading it) brought tears to my eyes. Its true and although sometimes we feel its redundant, its good to be reminded of our knowledge.

glad you had this expereince.

xoxo

Angie said...

I love this post. I know what you mean... I miss living in California where there are so many missionary opportunities. It's hard to be just one of the pack sometimes in Provo. I love that you got this opportunity.

Dave said...

rockstar.

Mormon Rockstar.