Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Freaking pestilence

My heart has been broken for the umpteenth time this summer. As stated in my other blog, I just returned from the Uintas. Having passed through Kamas, I made a tragic and horrifying discovery as I entered the National forest. Well, not a discovery. But it was news to me. Apparently there is an epidemic infestation of the Mountain Pine Beetle, which I shall simply forthwith refer to as the "bastards," in the Uintas. These wretched spawn of Satan are destroying the forest. It is shocking. I was just there last year, and everything was fine. This year, however, probably 1 in 4 trees is already dead. And there is really nothing that can be done about it, when it reaches that level. Essentially, the Uintas, one of the most beautiful forests on the planet earth, shall be blighted to an ugly ruin, damaged for decades.

I don't understand why God created these wretched beetles. They seem to serve no purpose. They destroy and completely alter entire ecosystems. The blight the land, destroying it for years and years. I can understand preditory creatures. Even parasitic creatures. But a bug that is capable of destroying hundreds of thousands of acres of land within a few short years...? I don't understand the purpose of such a creation. Or of letting said creation just run rampant. Not that I am questioning the wisdom of God or whatever, I just don't get it. I mean, I understand He can only meddle so much in human affairs, but this is his planet. I mean, it isn't a human created pestilence. It isn't as though he would be stepping in to fix something that humans ruined through carelessness and greed. This is nature attacking nature, in a seemingly wanton manner. I guess all I am saying is, were I the God of a planet, I would strike those beetles down to a cruel and merciless hell. A hell where when they bore into trees, it turns out that they are only boring into themselves, in some incomprehensible manner. It wouldn't have to make sense. Since I was God, after all.

As I drove, hiked, and biked all around it nearly brought me to tears, seeing all of those trees brown, lifeless. I couldn't help but think that that place wouldn't be beautiful again till I was probably like...50. By the time I have children (haaa hahahahaaa...ahem) the trees will all be dead, with nothing but scrawny new ones in their place. And who knows the ecological impacts and other wildlife changes that will have occurred. Seriously heart breaking.

Damn you Mountain Pine Beetle!

No comments: