Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hasty dunkings

My younger brother is a missionary in the Philippines. I was reading his email today and I had a thought occur to me that I had never really previously considered. He mentioned something about a baptism having to be delayed for a week. Reading that sort of caused me to reminisce about baptizing people. Which then lead to the thought, "I can't believe how quickly missionaries baptize people." I mean when one is a missionary, meeting someone, blazing through 6 lessons, inviting them to read, pray, and then checking up on it, and then baptizing them as quickly as possible (ideally 2 weeks) seemed like the most normal and logical thing in the world. It now sort of seems like the craziest thing in the world. I mean, we would literally invite people at the end of the second lesson to get baptized. A rather life altering thing. At least it should be. But how could it be? I mean, I just have to wonder if the missionaries prepared people a little better before giving them a hasty baptism, how many more people would stay active, rather than dwindle away in inactivity?

While flying home, I remember wondering how many of the people I dunked had actually remained active. I visited several areas, and it seemed like roughly 50%. I would bet the farm that it is now somewhere less than 25%. Becoming a member of the church is such a big change for most people, and the requirements can be seemingly astronomical. I suppose however, when people truly believe they have found the truth they would be anxious to "start the path." However, I do recall when interviewing people for baptism, on about half the occasions having to remind people that they had a testimony of the truth. Some missionaries seriously didn't prepare people at all. They would get to the interview having scarcely prayed, at which point I would have to help them realize that they had received an answer that the Book of Mormon was true, and of the veracity of the gospel.

I guess when one is no longer a missionary, one realizes how crazy missionaries actually are. Missionaries don't have a normal perspective. They cannot fathom why every single member of the church isn't working their hardest and devoting their every spare moment to building the kingdom. Then one comes home and realizes that one's expectations of people over the past 2 years were often a bit over the top. That maybe they were a little crazy when they told people they were going to be condemned. One also comes to realize that, just because one is not a Mormon, doesn't automatically mean that they are wallowing around in a mire of unhappiness. So to all you Mormons who think otherwise--non Mormons can be happy too. In fact, just as happy as you (we) are. I remember looking people in the eye and telling them that it was impossible for them to be completely happy if they rejected the truth we were sharing. I believe that there is a uniqueness to the happiness that a strong member of the LDS faith may have, a specific certainty and comfort in the belief that one is following absolutely correct doctrines. However, Mormons do not have a monopoly on happiness. I believe that a if a person is living a good life, and is doing what they feel is good, righteous, and correct that such a person will be happy, regardless as to what faith they pertain.

Perhaps my heart has simply grown a bit hard. I freaking love smart water.

7 comments:

Dave said...

my mission was totally different. Oh, wait. Same mission. Same insanity. Well, the scripture says something about bringing just one soul to God or something. And, as Elder Reinhardt said, "you've gotta throw a lot of mud on the wall if you want a little mud to stick." So I bet that we each helped at least one person who will make it back. Problem is, we probably wont be there to rejoice with them. haha (nervous laugh).

gina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joliene said...

this makes me kind of sad. of course, i'm a crazy heretic. i must be sad.

and smart water is pretty freaking awesome.

Amy J said...

i was just talking to my vt today ( i used to act like i didn't hear the door when they came by). i was telling them that Heavenly Father knows your true heart and your true feelings. my husband and i didn't get married in the temple, in fact he goes to church only a handful of times a year. until i started teaching sunbeams last year, i went maybe once a month. i have moments where i freak out a bit that i haven't been through the temple, and i do so many stupid things. BUT, i know that when it comes down to the end we will be judged by our Heavenly Father and he KNOWS us. so, the short and sweet of it all, yes we want everyone to "come into the kingdom" and want everyone to be baptised, be "active" members etc, but eternity isn't dependant on not how many sundays you might have missed. right? please correct me if i'm wrong. i wish i could write as well as you, i feel like i just wandered all over the place. sorry.

Fish Nat!on said...

Well, I definitely believe that our eternity will reflect what we do in this life. And I also believe that H.F. has given us certain guidelines that he expects us to follow. I believe that true, he will absolutely judge us according to our heart, but also according to our actions. I think it is a double edged sword. For example, take something important like baptism. I believe that most Christians, regardless of denomination will usually agree that baptism is necessary to enter into the kingdom of heaven. So in that case, would simply having "one's heart in the right place" be enough, or is the actual baptism required? I believe that it absolutely IS required, among other things that H.F. has laid out in his plan. I guess ultimately my opinion is, the Lord has laid out a specific plan for specific reasons. I think that simply assuming that he will grant us rewards for righteous desires rather than action is maybe hoping for a little too much. But on the other hand, he is merciful (but he also has to be just) and everyone's situation is different. All we can do is the best that we can. Are we doing the best we can?

if that was harsh, I apologize. I didn't mean for it to be. It is simply what I believe.

Amy J said...

i don't think that was harsh at all. i too believe you must be baptised, and you should be attending church, be active, and have callings etc. i just wanted to say, that if some of those who got "dunked" so fast, but aren't totally active now, doesn't mean that they will be banished either. does that make any sense? i am so going to go take a nap now...:)

Liliya said...

I think joining the church is in a lot of ways like marriage.Its a big commitment. Sometimes people do it for the wrong reasons and than get disappointed and scared away by the realities of the day, sometimes people get offended and choose not to forgive and than have to leave as well. But if they get this heart burning conviction that something is true and they know it with every atom of their body, they could not never really fall away. everyone has ups and downs but onces you felt something that strong, you can never turn away form it, unless you lie to yourself. It is called conversion and it not always the baptism that brings it.